Remember last year?
It wasn't all that long ago.
Remember when our beloved DC United would not quit? The team would frequently find themselves down a goal or two with five minutes left, but it wouldn't matter. That United team could never be counted out.
Here are some examples that will make you smile:
- 4/17/09: DC United 1, New England Revolution 1. Ben Olsen scores the tying goal in stoppage time after outleaping Wells Thompson for a header, and then turning and yelling into Thompson's face while he's on the ground.
- 4/26/09: DC United 3, New York Red Bulls 2. Once again in stoppage time, Chris Pontius buries a loose ball in the back of the net after United thoroughly outplayed their opponents for a deserved victory.
- 5/2/09: DC United 2, FC Dallas 1. It wasn't exactly in the final minutes, but Jaime Moreno scored two second half goals to overcome a 1-0 halftime deficit.
- 5/9/09: DC United 3, Toronto FC 3. Tom Soehn's two second half substitutes each rewarded him with goals. Chris Pontius in the 87th minute and Jaime Moreno in the 92nd.
- 5/16/09: DC United 2, Chivas USA 2. United looked dead and buried in the first half, but Luciano Emilio and Santino Quaranta broke Zach Thornton's 400 minute goalless streak with two strikes in the final 15 minutes of play.
At that point in the season, DC United was in first place in the Eastern Conference, and had either won or tied four matches with a goal in the final five minutes of the match. Pretty impressive.
What happened to that fight?