It is time for the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, or at least the first two rounds of it. While their are articles every year that predict the end of the relevance of college soccer and the SuperDraft, that is not yet the case. And, for at least the teams selecting in the top ten of every draft, I do not think it will be true for a number of years yet to come. There are just too many people in the United States and not enough development academies to snatch up their rights.
Unless there are some last minute trades, D.C. United will only have one pick in today's first two rounds of the SuperDraft; the third and fourth rounds will be conducted by conference call next Tuesday, but are still technically part of the SuperDraft rather than a supplemental draft (because MLS).
Venue: Philadelphia Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA
Television/streaming: The SuperDraft will be televised on ESPN News and streamed on Watch ESPN, formerly known as ESPN3.
Mock drafts: You can find a plethora of mock drafts out there, including ones from MLSsoccer.com, Top Drawer Soccer, and Goal USA. Coincidentally. each one of those drafts has D.C. United taking a different player. And, of course, there are the predictions from your friendly site editors about who we think D.C. United will take.
Final prediction: For some reason, my gut still says Patrick Mullins. Any of him, Steve Birnbaum, or Christian Dean is likely and defensible.
What are you drinking? Since I will be at work and it will be the middle of the day, I will drinking tea. Most likely it will be my Lucky Dragon Hyson green tea.
And remember, as always, this is your place for pre-draft, in-draft, and post-draft chatter.
- The SuperDraft is tomorrow. What will D.C. United do with the #1 pick?
- With Bradley in the Fold, Who's Left on MLS's Wishlist?
- Jeff Parke, D.C. United, And You: What to expect from the Black-and-Red's newest player
- D.C. United trading Ethan White and the top allocation spot for the Philadelphia Union's Jeff Parke
- Filibuster podcast episode 63: MLS SuperDraft SuperCoverage with Travis Clark, plus Maurice Edu rumors