There's one reason why I haven't been hired as a general manager for a Major League Soccer expansion club yet. Because no one knew my real name before!
Well guess what. I'm Martin Shatzer, I'll do the job for a salary equal to that of Pablo Hernandez, and I await your call.
I don't make any claims on knowing the styles of play or preferences of John Spencer or Teitur Thordarson. I draft my players based on the premise that I'd like to have players who will win more games than they'll lose. It's truly a shock that no one has tried this before. The Philadelphia Union didn't pick a single player from my mock draft last year, and they missed the playoffs. No coincidence there. Sebastian Le Toux? Who needs him! My team had guys like Luciano Emilio and Dave van den Bergh.
Read on for the list of players that I would draft if I were general manager of the Portland Timbers and/or Vancouver Whitecaps.
1. Dax McCarty (Dallas, M)
3. Patrick Ianni (Seattle, D/M)
5. Cristian Arrieta (Philadelphia, D)
7. Chad Barrett (Toronto, F)
9. Arturo Alvarez (San Jose, F/M)
11. Mariano Trujillo (Chivas, D)
13. Corey Ashe (Houston, M)
15. Tim Ward (San Jose, D)
17. Peter Lowry (Chicago, M)
19. Seth Sinovic (NE, D)
2. Juan Pablo Angel (New York, F)
4. Collen Warner (Salt Lake, M)
6. Anthony Wallace (Colorado, D)
8. Nathan Sturgis (Seattle, D/M)
10. Jesus Padilla (Chivas, M)
12. Robbie Russell (Salt Lake, D)
14. Eric Avila (Dallas, M)
16. Troy Perkins (DC, G)
18. Kevin Burns (Columbus, M)
20. Birahim Diop (Kansas City, D)