Good morning! It took me all of yesterday to recover mentally and physically after tweaking my back at Subaru Park and then being stuck in construction traffic that turned the trip back into a 4.5 hour odyssey, but I think I have to together enough to write some words. Let’s put this theory to the test, shall we?
We start with a D.C. United international round-up:
- Paul Arriola went 90 minutes for the USMNT, drawing what could have been one red card (but wasn’t), and then sending Brenden Aaronson through for what could have been another red card (but wasn’t), and then getting a hockey assist on the opening goal. He did good, is what I’m saying.
- Edison Flores started for Peru, playing 69 minutes in a 2-0 home win over Chile. That’s a big win for Peru, who are three points back from CONMEBOL’s playoff spot.
- Junior Moreno played the final 16 minutes in Venezuela’s 3-1 loss to Brazil. Venezuela lead this game for 70+ minutes, with Moreno coming in to try to help preserve a shock result after Brazil got level. It wasn’t to be, as Brazil struck in the 85th minute and again in stoppage time. Venezuela is in last in CONMEBOL’s qualifying tournament, 10 points away from the region’s playoff berth and 12 from an automatic spot.
- Andy Najar went 90 for Honduras at right back in a 0-0 draw with Costa Rica. It’s the third draw from four for los Catrachos, who sit in 7th in the Ocho on 3 points.
- Yordy Reyna was not in uniform for Peru after picking up an injury against Orlando, and will not be available in their remaining games in this window.
Moving on, I broke a little Washington Spirit news late last night:
A little late night Spirit news: multiple sources with knowledge of the situation tell me that Larry Best has not been around the team in any capacity since the 9/28 #NWSL update on the investigation into the team. #RiseUpDC— Jason Anderson (@JasonDCsoccer) October 8, 2021
No word on what’s next for the team in terms of the league investigation, but next Tuesday is the deadline the league set for the Spirit to respond to the league board of governors’ notice that they had violated league standards. We’ll have more on the Spirit later today.
2022 World Cup Qualifying: USA 2-0 Jamaica - A dominant second half brings back three points | Stars and Stripes FC
P.S. the USMNT got two more goals from Ricardo Pepi, and went top of the Ocho with their win (combined with Canada’s 1-1 draw at the Azteca).
How has FC Cincinnati gotten it historically wrong in MLS? Time will tell if another GM turns it around | ESPN
This is just...if I were an FC Cincinnati fan, this piece would have taken me to new depths of pessimism. You’d think being close to a third straight last place finish would be rock bottom, but this piece gives me plenty of reason to expect the streak will extend in 2022.
Did you know the San Jose Earthquakes and Cruz Azul played a friendly last night? For some reason, they did! And for some reason, a dispute between players became some clown running out from the stands to throw a punch at an Earthquakes player before being taken down by Chris Wondolowski:
@TUDNUSA @J_Pietra @borgetti58 Reprobable @SJEarthquakes @CruzAzul pic.twitter.com/3iG5ajofz2— Ismael Garcia (@GarciaIsmael628) October 8, 2021
I don’t even know, man.
And on that note, have a good Friday, and do not be like the guy who stormed the field!