Hello hello hello! Happy Tuesday, folks. It also happens to be a D.C. United game day, thanks to the U.S. Open Cup. The Black-and-Red take on Baltimore-based amateur side Christos FC tonight, so get excited. (Ben takes a look at DCU’s potential lineup here, by the way.)
In other news, you may be aware that the USMNT played Mexico Sunday night, and as you can imagine there’s a lot out there to read about that game. We’ll start with a bunch of those articles, and I’m just going to bullet them for you here because I’m not gonna pretend like I have specific things to say about each one:
- 3 things we learned from the 1-1 draw with Mexico | Stars and Stripes FC
- Planning, not gambling: A tale of two USMNT coaches vs. Mexico, and why one succeeded | FourFourTwo
- Armchair Analyst: US take a page from Costa Rica's book in draw at Mexico | MLS
- In demanding stretch of World Cup qualifiers, U.S. soccer gets the most out of its roster | The Washington Post
- Draw at Azteca another step in USMNT reclaiming its team essence under Arena | Sports Illustrated
Also, don’t you think we should watch Michael Bradley’s goal again, for good measure? I agree.
Okay, and now onto some other soccer things!
This amateur soccer team, headquartered in a liquor store, never practices and rarely loses | The Washington Post
“‘Um, I know they have a losing record,’ Taylor shrugged of United.”
One night only: Injuries leave ex-youth stars on opposite sides of Open Cup’s Cinderella story | FourFourTwo
Good story here on Chris Odoi-Atsem and his high school + college teammate, Cody Albrecht, who plays for Christos FC.
Why We Need Positional Data | StatsBomb
I’m not a data person so honestly I didn’t read this whole thing, but figured the stats-minded folks among you might be interested.
Amateur Soccer in New York, Built on Immigrant Pride | The New York Times
This is an interesting article about something I knew nothing about. I love soccer, guys.
Australia in bold bid to host 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup | Herald Sun
This would be pretty cool BUT would no doubt wreak havoc on my sleep schedule.
Phew, that’s all from me this morning. You know the drill—to the comments!