clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Richmond Kickers 2-0 Virginia Beach City FC: Kickers advance in the US Open Cup

The Richmond Kickers do enough to move on in the US Open Cup.

Brian Zimmerman

The Richmond Kickers defeated Virginia Beach City FC of the NPSL 2-0 tonight in the US Open Cup second round in front of 1104 fans and without any of their D.C. United loanees. They dominated the game in possession, and could have had at least two more goals, but did enough to move onto the third round of the US Open Cup; they will host the Jacksonville Armada of the NASL next Wednesday.

The first half was dominated by the Kickers, with the team holding a 7-1 advantage in shots and creating the two most dangerous chances. Yudai Imura headed a corner kick back towards the center of the box and right to Matthew Delicate. From the top of the six, Delicate is usually lethal; however, this header went just wide. Minutes later, center back Hugh Roberts also found himself free at the top of the six yard box, and just like Delicate he also pushed his header wide.

Virginia Beach City FC only managed one real attack, as they typically kept at least 10 men behind the ball. Off of a Kickers corner, they were able to spring a counter and free a player with only William Yomby and goalkeeper Ryan Taylor back. With Yomby challenging shoulder-to-shoulder, Taylor was able to pluck the ball off of the attackers foot with ease.

The first goal came early in the second half, off of a corner kick by Fred Owusu Sekyere. Virginia Beach City FC was unable to clear the ball and, after clattering around in the box, William Yomby was able to nudge it to Nate Shiffman, who scored.

Not satisfied with one goal, Leigh Cowlishaw brought on George Davis IV and Jason Yeisley. The energy increased, and the chances were there, but the could not find the back of the net. Brian Ownby and Matthew Delicate, in particular, each had a breakaway; Ownby pushed his shot just wide and Delicate lost his footing before being able to pull off a shot.

Finally, in the 89th minute, the goal came. Fred Owusu Sekyere whipped in a beautiful cross and Jason Yeisley launched himself completely parallel to the ground; his diving header gave us the final score of 2-0.