clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Richmond Kickers' attack comes together in a 3-0 win over Wilmington Hammerheads

Richmond's offense finally rumbles to life and the Kickers get a 3-0 win.

Chris Moore

In the first two games of the season, the Richmond Kickers had not yet had a lead, drawing both against Wilmington Hammerheads and Louisville City FC. In their third, another matchup against Wilmington, Leigh Cowlishaw's team finally put together a coherent offensive performance to beat the Hammerheads 3-0. Jason Yeisley scored two goals in the first 30 minutes, and D.C. United loanee Travis Worra saved a penalty kick to keep the shutout.

Richmond's first goal started with Brian Ownby collecting the ball on the right side of the box and crossing back into the middle. An on-rushing Jason Yeisley chipped the ball first time freezing everyone and giving the Kickers their first lead of the season 4 minutes into this game.

Yeisley was able to bag the brace just twenty minutes later, when he colleted a pass from Fred Owusu Sekyere. He was then able to leap over a sliding tackle and blast the ball hard and high past the Hammerheads keeper. The Kickers dominated the first half a deserved to be up by two goals.

Wilmington took control in the second half, but the Kickers put the final nail in the coffin late. Richmond started with a time-killing 32 pass sequence, which involved 10 players on the team; Luke Mishu played an important part of this sequence, showing some nifty moves in the attack to keep the sequence alive. At the end of it, Eli Garner put the third goal through the legs of Wilmington's keeper in the 89th minute, giving the Kickers the 3-0 win.

Travis Worra made his biggest save of the game, stopping a penalty kick in the 79th minute. William Yomby, the captain for this game, made what looked to be a regular, clean tackle in the box; however, the referee decided it was a penalty and allowed the Hammerheads a chance from the spot. The kick was hard to Worra's left, but the rookie goalkeeper was able to get down quickly and block the ball off of the post and back into play. However, in the 67th minute he tried to make himself big to block a shot near the 6 yard box, but was unable to reach the ball that just slipped wide of his post. He is still a young keeper, and the fact that he was able to keep a clean sheet despite a penalty is a good sign for his development.