clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Loudoun United allow late comeback in 2-2 draw

Loudoun played impressive soccer on the road but two excellent moments sunk a potential road win.

Xavi Dussaq / Loudoun United

Loudoun United has never managed to do well at Dillon Stadium, home of Hartford Athletic, being outscored 12-3 in their first three games, including 3-1 and 4-1 losses this season. At the end of a 4 game in 11 day stretch Loudoun’s performance improved tonight, but a late Hartford rally forced them to swallow a 2-2 draw.

Coach Ryan Martin gave Simon Lefebvre, D.C. United’s 2020 first round draft pick whom Loudoun signed to a pro contract, the start tonight, and opted to play fellow former D.C. draft pick Joshua Fawole at central midfield/second forward behind Alioune Ndour. Loudoun handled Hartford’s quick counterattack tendencies well and in the 22nd minute, Jeremy Garay lofted a free kick into the box which Shane Wiedt headed past Parfait Mandanda for his first pro goal and the early Loudoun lead, which they would comfortably hold going into halftime.

Hartford substituted Gabriel Torres for recent signing Markus Naglestad at halftime, though he took time finding space on the field to work. In the 73rd minute, a ball cleared out of the box by Matheus Silva bounced to the top of the box, and Elvis Amoh blasted a left footed rocket off Mandanda’s right hand and in for a 2-0 lead, his third goal in as many games against Hartford. As much as Amoh giveth, he taketh away too, with a foul just outside the Loudoun box which earned him a yellow card (causing him to miss Loudoun’s next game), Naglestad hit a right footed shot that beat a diving Lefebvre on his left to halve the lead. Moments later in the 89th, Jacob Greene took a yellow for a foul in a similar area, and Naglestad’s right footer beat Lefebvre but hit the post, and Alex Dixon headed in the rebound to bring the outcome to its 2-2 final.

The next game for Loudoun (1-4-2) will be on August 29 at Segra Field against New York Red Bulls II.

USL Championship Group F - Game 6
Hartford Athletic 2 (Naglestad 85, Dixon 89)
Loudoun United FC 2 (Wiedt 22, Amoh 73)

Hartford (3142): Parfait Mandanda; Sam Strong (Aiden Mesias 72), Kevin Politz, Matheus Silva; Danny Barrera (C); Harry Swartz, Arthur Rogers, Mads Jorgensen (Nicky Downs 72), Gabriel Torres (Markus Naglestad 45); Tyreke Johnson, Alex Dixon (Andre Deas 90+5)

Loudoun (4231): Simon Lefebvre; Alexxon Saravia (Erumuse Momoh 90+1), Shane Wiedt, Timmy Mehl, Jacob Greene; Jeremy Garay, Elvis Amoh; Kairou Amoustapha (Peabo Doue 82), Joshua Fawole (Christian Sorto 90+1), Michael Gamble (C) (Ted Ku-DiPietro 58); Alioune Ndour

Hartford - Lara 45, Dixon 84, Torres 90+3
Loudoun - Ndour 23, Amoustapha 44, Amoh 84, Greene 88