The team declined their 2021 options on Mohammed Abu, Earl Edwards Jr., Oniel Fisher, Felipe Martins, Gelmin Rivas, and Axel Sjoberg. According to Steve Goff of the Washington Post, the team remains in active negotiations with Martins, Rivas, and Edwards Jr. in the hopes of bringing them back to the team next year.
The team also exercised options on key starters Joseph Mora and Junior Moreno, and well as key reserve Ulises Segura and late season acquisition Yordy Reyna. According to their release, the team has made a bonafide offer to Chris Odoi-Atsem. Goff’s report also notes that United is “in talks” with Chris Seitz.
The team currently has 15 players under contract, including recent signing Jacob Greene, with four more players with their options exercised. This takes the team up to 19 players already, and Odoi-Atsem and Seitz would make 21. United had a short roster this year, but can go all the way up to 30 as they build a team for the next year. Also, I would assume there will be some trades as the offseason progresses, if we know anything about Dave Kasper.
We will break down each of these individual players in our upcoming season review series, known affectionately as Goat or Fox (or, sometimes, Cake or Death).
The full list, courtesy of D.C. United:
D.C. United’s current year-end roster decisions have been characterized into four categories:
- Players Under Contract (15): Paul Arriola, Yamil Asad, Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brilliant, Russell Canouse, Edison Flores, Jacob Greene, Julian Gressel, Bill Hamid, Ola Kamara, Moses Nyeman, Kevin Paredes, Donovan Pines, Erik Sorga, Griffin Yow
- Players Out of Contract (2): Chris Odoi-Atsem, Chris Seitz
- Players with Option Exercised (4): Joseph Mora, Júnior Moreno, Yordy Reyna, Ulises Segura
- Player Receiving Bonafide Offer (1): Chris Odoi-Atsem
- Players with Option Declined (6): Mohammed Abu, Earl Edwards, Jr., Oniel Fisher, Felipe Martins, Gelmin Rivas, Axel Sjöberg