Welcome to the first B&RU game thread of 2014! Woohoo! The honors go to the United States Men's National Team, who will host South Korea this evening in the culmination of Jurgen Klinsmann's last January camp before this summer's World Cup in Brazil. But, for once, there's at least one D.C. United player who figures to be a big part of tonight's action as Eddie Johnson seems likely to start at forward
alongside his now former club teammate Clint Dempsey. Johnson and D.C. United 'keeper Bill Hamid (along with most everybody else on the USA roster) will be looking to play their way onto the plane to Brazil with strong performances in what will be the last USA friendly on this side of the Atlantic before Klinsmann names his preliminary squad for the tournament.
Meanwhile, Korea is coming off a 4-0 shellacking at the hands of Mexico last week and will be looking to show better against the Americans. Should be a good test for what amounts to Klinsy's B-side.
Time: 5pm EST
Home Depot Stub Hub Center, Carson, Cal.
TV/Streaming: On your larger screen via ESPN2 and on your smaller screen thanks to WatchESPN.
Projected USA Lineup: As much as I want to see Bill Hamid win the start, the smart money is on Nick Rimando. In defense, look for Brad Evans on the right, Matt Besler and Omar Gonzalez in the middle and Michael Harrington on the left. In central midfield, we should see Kyle Beckerman and Mix Diskerud, with Graham Zusi and Landon Donovan on the outside. Up top, it'll be Eddie Johnson, and
Clint Dempsey will play in the hole underneath his former Seattle Sounders teammate. (Update: I read roster good.)
Here's the entire roster from ussoccer.com:
- GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- DEFENDERS (7): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
- MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Match Prediction: The Yanks win in relative style, 3-0 behind goals from Johnson, Dempsey and Donovan. People fret because Mexico won by more.
What Are You Drinking?: It's going to be a manhattan for me - Buffalo Trace bourbon, Dolin Rouge vermouth and Angostura bitters.
For the first time in 2014, welcome to your live thread. This is the place for pre-game, in-game and post-game conversation. Have at it.
- D.C. United versus LA Galaxy game moved to avoid conflict with Galaxy's CONCACAF Champions League game
- MLS Offseason Power Rankings, January 2014 Edition
- Freedom Kicks - D.C. United links for Friday, January 31st
- D.C. United Preseason Match Live Streaming Schedule
- City Administrator Allen Y. Lew responds to the flawed Washington Post stadium poll results