Bill Hamid is going to Europe this summer. But - at least as of right now - it won't be to train with or trial for or go on loan with a club side over there. D.C. United's starting GK will be joining Juergen Klinsmann & Co. for a couple of friendlies the United States Men's National Team will play in the coming days. The first of these will be Friday against Scotland, with another coming against Austria the following Tuesday.
Hamid joins USMNT #1 Tim Howard and constant rival for "Next Young Guy in Line" Sean Johnson in the camp. Howard's biggest competition for the top spot, Brad Guzan of Aston Villa and recent third-choice goalkeeper Nick Rimando of Real Salt Lake were left off the roster. Here's the full list of Klinsy's call ups for the European friendlies, from ussoccer.com:
Goalkeepers: Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire).
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Omar Gonzalez (L.A. Galaxy), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Michael Orozco (Puebla).
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).
So, do we think Bill Hamid finally pulls back ahead of Johnson and gets some minutes in one of these games, or will this be a "for the experience" type of trip? Any other thoughts on the roster?
More from Black And Red United:
- The Road Not Taken - What if Ben Olsen hadn't traded Dax McCarty and built D.C. United around Dwayne De Rosario?
- Cake or Death? We give Chris Korb the once-over
- 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs: Conference Finals Game Times, TV Schedule, Predictions & Open Thread
- This Day in D.C. United History: November 8, 2012 and the Eastern Conference Semifinal vs. the Metros
- Bahia will not extend Freddy Adu's contract